James J. Riviello Jr., MD
- Sergievsky Family Professor of Pediatric Neurology (in Neurology and the Gertrude H. Sergievsky Center) at CUMC
- Chief, Child Neurology
Dr. Riviello has a very active clinical practice in seizures, convulsions, and epilepsy, including medically refractory epilepsy and the evaluation of children for epilepsy surgery. He has a special interest in the evaluation and management of the epileptic encephalopathies, Landau-Kleffner Syndrome and Electrical Status Epilepticus of Sleep, and the treatment of these with high dose diazepam and steroids.
For inpatient medicine, Dr. Riviello has expertise in status epilepticus, refractory status epilepticus, neonatal seizures, and pediatric neurocritical care.
Dr. Riviello is a member of several professional society committees that produced guidelines for Diagnostic Assessment of the Child with Status epilepticus for the American Academy of Neurology; Guidelines for the Evaluation and Management of Status Epilepticus, and the Treatment of Status Epilepticus: An International Survey of Experts, both for the Neurocritical Care Society; the American Clinical Neurophysiology Society's Guideline on Continuous EEG Monitoring in Neonates, and ACNS Standardized EEG Terminology and Categorization for the Description of Continuous EEG Monitoring in Neonates; and the Pediatric Epilepsy Surgery Survey Taskforce of the International League Against Epilepsy, which produced: Proposed Criteria for Referral and Evaluation of Children for Epilepsy Surgery: Recommendations of the Subcommission for Pediatric Epilepsy Surgery, and Defining the Spectrum of International Practice in Pediatric Epilepsy Surgery Patients.
Dr. Riviello is also a founding member of the Pediatric Status Epilepticus Research Group (pSERG), and the Pediatric Critical Care EEG Group, organizations dedicated to research in status epilepticus and continuous EEG monitoring. In addition, he has worked with the Neurocritical Care Society on the development of pediatric neurocritical care.
In research, Dr. Riviello focuses on pediatric epilepsy and clinical neurophysiology and pediatric critical care neurology. Within these areas, his research has been in 1) the treatment of refractory epilepsy and epilepsy surgery, 2) the epileptic encephalopathies in children, 3) pediatric neurocritical care, especially status epilepticus and neonatal seizures, and critical care neurophysiologic monitoring, and 4) neonatal and pediatric EEG. Dr. Riviello's research in the epileptic encephalopathies has led to improvement in the treatment of these disorders using high dose diazepam.
- Department of Neurology
Division of Child Neurology
- Department of Pediatrics
- Child Neurology
- Neurology with Special Qualification in Child Neurology
- Clinical Neurophysiology
Education & Training
- MD, Tufts University School of Medicine
- Tufts University
- Residency: St Christophers Hospital for Children
- Fellowship: St Christophers Hospital for Children
Harkness Pavilion180 Fort Washington Avenue
New York, NY 10032
- Gertrude H. Sergievsky Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian/Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital
Please contact the provider's office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
- Aetna [EPO, HMO, Medicare Managed Care, NY Signature, POS, PPO, Signature Administrators, Student Health]
- Affinity [Access (Exchange), Essential Plan, Medicaid Managed Care]
- Amida Care [Special Needs Plan]
- Cigna [EPO, Great West, HMO, POS, PPO]
- Emblem/HIP [ConnectiCare, EPO, Essential Plan, HMO, Medicaid Managed Care, POS, PPO, Select Care (Exchange), Vytra]
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield [Blue Priority, EPO, HMO, Medicare (Mediblue), NYP Employee Plan, Pathway (Exchange), POS, PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield HealthPlus [Child/Family Health Plus, Essential Plan, Medicaid Managed Care]
- Fidelis Care [Child/Family Health Plus, Medicaid Managed Care]
- Healthfirst [Child/Family Health Plus, Medicaid Managed Care]
- Local 1199
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom, Liberty]
- UnitedHealthcare [Columbia University Employee Plan, Compass (Exchange), EPO, HMO, Medicaid (Community Plan), POS, PPO]
- VNSNY CHOICE [SelectHealth]
This provider sees pediatric patients
This provider accepts new patients